Challock Parish Council Meeting (Edited Minutes)

 

 

 

Memorial Hall, Audrey Allen room

 

Thursday 19th September 2013, 7.30pm

 

 

 

Members of public present: 7

 

 

 

 

 

Apologies

 

 Nicholas Fox

 

 

 

 Present

 

 Roger Spicer, Stephen Brandon, John Ramsden, Akile Clinton, Michael Fisher, Diane Ashworth, Kirstie Wooltorton (Clerk), Diane Sandy (Assistant Clerk)

 

 

 

 Minutes of Last Meeting

 

 

 

Minutes of 25th July 2013 meeting were signed by Roger Spicer as an accurate record. Slight adjustment made to Forest Cottages from Forestry Crescent. Akile also asked how much the Village Hall Committee were requesting from the Parish Council for funding. Clerk to check with Tim Freeman as this information has not been received.

 

 

 

Community Warden

 

 

 

Peter Willows gave his report to Councillors. Peter has been carrying out high visibility checks at school times and attended and helped with parking at the Goose Fair.

 

 

 

Charmion Gillmore explained to Councillors about the “No Cold Calling Zone” that has been set up in Clockhouse Park.

 

 

 

Challock is one of the first to set this up in the East Kent area. Charmion advised she had received a lot of help from Peter Willows and Trading Standards. If anyone else wishes to find out more about “No Cold Calling Zones” they can contact Peter Willows for further information.

 

 

 

Councillors asked Clerk to put this information in the Forester.  Peter Willows can be contacted on mobile tel: 07813 695817.

 

 

 

 

 Village Confines

 

 

 

The village confines pilot has continued to make very good progress

 

 

 

There have now been two well attended open workshops in the Audrey Allen Room on Sunday 11th August and Thursday 22nd August

 

 

 

Comment cards and report booklets were given to those who attended and responses were due back by 1st September. In total 39 people visited the two workshops

 

 

 

The Clerk also received 4 email requests for the map and report

 

 

 

Nine responses containing various comments were received by the closing date. Some comments recognised the amount of work involved and supported the proposals whilst others were critical of certain areas and disagreed with the whole approach

 

 

 

The workgroup met on Thursday 5th September to review and discuss the comments received. The workgroup concluded that no changes were necessary

 

 

 

The Clerk has spoken to Martin Vink with regard to the received comments who explained that justification needs to be given as to why any changes have been made or not

 

 

 

A summary of the comments and workshop responses will be included in the final report which should be complete by October

 

 

 

Subject to ABC and Challock Parish Council fully endorsing the proposals the pilot scheme will be submitted to ABC’s Cabinet later this year

 

 

 

 

 

Storage for Goose Fair

 

 

 

Clerk has received a request for a metal storage container to be sited to the rear of the Stayte Pavillion to store all of the Goose Fair fencing, flags etc

 

 

 

At present all of the equipment has been stored at different locations and it is difficult to keep track of the equipment

 

 

 

The Cricket Club has confirmed that it has no objection to this request.

 

 

 

Councillors agreed to a container being sited at the rear of the cricket pavilion and the Village Fund providing a donation for the container.

 

 

 

The Chairman explained that no one has come forward to volunteer for running the Goose Fair so its future is in some doubt. There is a Goose Fair meeting at the village hall on 28th October at 7.30pm.

 

 

 

Councillors discussed the possibility of paying for an events organiser and agreed it would be a shame to lose the funding that this provides to the village clubs. Several experienced Goose Fair helpers are also stepping down.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk’s Report

 

 

 

Landscaping

 

 

 

Kent Landscapes carried out a full back up cut of the Lees early September

 

 

 

The Groundsman has strimmed along the Church Lane and Faversham Road footpaths

 

 

 

The Groundsman removed a fallen branch from a tree on the Lees

 

 

 

 

 

Highway Issues

 

 

 

Clerk has requested a salt bag from Kent Highways when ice/snow is forecast to be delivered to the verge at St Cosmas Close.

 

 

 

Micheal Fisher confirmed that the Kentish Express has reported that Kent Highways will not be filling salt bins in villages. Clerk to check with Kent Highway Services.

 

 

 

Clerk has reported three water leaks on the Lees and Green Lane to South East Water.

 

 

 

 

 

Vandalism

 

 

 

The shade canopy has been vandalised. Two wooden posts were broken

 

 

 

 

 

Funding

 

 

 

£550 Ward Member Grant received from David Robey towards the skate park

 

 

 

 

 

Play area

 

 

 

RoSPA report received from Play safety limited

 

 

 

In response to the RoSPA report recommendations, we have purchased a tiller for the Groundsman to rotavate the bark surfacing in the play area

 

 

 

The Groundsman has replaced the two broken wooden posts in the play area

 

 

 

 

 

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

Letter from Girlings regarding legal costs recovery from Mr Shirley. Noted. 

 

 

Email from Martin Vink regarding further proposed changes to permitted development rights. Councillors are very concerned about some of the change of use proposals. Clerk to respond on behalf of CPC

 

 

Telephone call from Amanda Cottrell regarding ash tree on the boundary of Laurenden Cottage. Request for the Parish Council contribution towards removal as Amanda considers it is partly on Parish Council land. Councillors considered that the tree was not on Parish Council land, sorry they could not make any contribution

 

 

Email from David Hollingsbee regarding a fish and chip van. Noted

 

 

Email about a no cold calling zone at Clockhouse Park. Noted

 

 

Letter from South East Water regarding further water main work on the A251 North Street. Noted

 

 

Invitation from Kent Highways to their Parish and Town Council Seminar on 10th October 2013. No Councillors are able to attend

 

 

Letter      from Colin Batt requesting Clerk to attend a meeting about the future of      the Goose Fair on 28th October. Clerk will attend

 

 

RoSPA  play area safety inspection report – see Clerks report. Noted

 

 

 

 

Finances

 

 

 

Finance update for July and August 2013 given to Councillors

 

 

 

 

 

Planning applications

 

 

 

Planning application update given to Councillors

 

 

 

There were no planning applications to discuss at the meeting

 

 

 

 

 

Items for Information

 

 

 

War Memorial

 

 

 

Clerk visited Cleverley and Spencer to inspect and approve the proposed stone for the War Memorial.

 

 

 

Clerk has placed an order for the War memorial with Cleverley and Spencer. A deposit in the sum of £1628.34 has been paid

 

 

 

It is estimated that the base installation and reinstatement works will cost in the region of £300. Total cost of the War Memorial installation will be approximately £3,100.00.

 

 

 

Deryck Sutton has confirmed the list of names to be engraved on to the memorial and Clerk has agreed layout with Cleverley and Spencer

 

 

 

It is hoped this will be installed by Remembrance Sunday.

 

 

 

 

 

Fish and Chip Van

 

 

 

David Hollingsbee has agreed with Tina at the Barn Shop that the van will be parked in the Barn Shop car park on Fridays between 4.30pm and 7.30pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village Bonfire and Fireworks

 

 

 

The village bonfire and fireworks will be held on Saturday 2nd November 2013.

 

 

 

Clerk has completed the risk assessment and notified the Parish Council insurers. Clerk to put advert in the Forester

 

 

 

 

 

No Cold Calling Zone

 

 

 

The residents of Clockhouse Park have set up a no cold calling zone.

 

 

 

Whilst no cold calling zones such as this do not ban cold callers or create exclusion zones they do make cold callers aware of residents wishes and may deter them from approaching

 

 

 

 

 

Rural Conference

 

 

 

The Ashford Borough Council Rural conference – rural sustainability is on 24th September at the Rare Breeds Centre

 

 

 

Clerk has written a short paper, “Engaging with Residents, Challock Confines Pilot” which David Robey will present

 

                                         

 

Michael Fisher expressed his continued concerns about the speeding motorbikes through the village and has suggested the Parish Council write to Anne Barnes. All Councillors agreed. Roger Spicer agreed to send a letter.

 

 

 

Meeting closed at 8.20pm

 

 

 

Remaining Parish Council meeting dates for 2013

 

 

 

Thursday 28th November

 

 

 

 

 

The next Parish Council meeting is on Thursday 28th November 2013

 


Calendar

October 2017
M T W T F S S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
No events
Scattered showers

13°C

Challock

Scattered showers
Humidity: 89%
Wind: E at 17.70 km/h
Thursday 13°C / 17°C Mostly cloudy
Friday 12°C / 15°C Scattered showers
Saturday 11°C / 16°C Scattered showers
Sunday 8°C / 13°C SP_WEATHER_BREEZY
Monday 8°C / 15°C Mostly cloudy
Tuesday 12°C / 15°C Cloudy
Wednesday 12°C / 16°C Mostly cloudy
Thursday 12°C / 15°C Mostly cloudy